Question Persuade and Refer (QPR) is an evidence-based training which provides:
- Knowledge and skills to identify warning signs that someone may be suicidal
- Confidence to talk to them about suicidal thoughts
- Connect them with professional care
The self-paced session takes 60-90 minutes on average to complete and does not need to be completed in a single sitting – you can take as long as you like and take a break as need.
QPR online covers the following content:
- Common myths and misconceptions about suicide
- Warning signs of suicide (Direct verbal, indirect verbal, behavioural, situational)
- How to ask the suicide question (direct and less direct methods)
- How to persuade someone to stay alive
- How to refer individuals to help
All you need to complete QPR online is your username/password and access to a computer or mobile device with internet connection.
At all times during the QPR online training there will be a Need Help option which will refer the participant to support lines.
Community suicide prevention training aims to teach individuals the warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to respond. QPR training is not recommended for individuals recently bereaved by suicide, as it is not a therapy or support group, rather an education session to learn how to support others.
If you or someone you know is in need of more urgent care, please contact:
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
- Beyondblue Support Service on 1300 224 365
- or visit Seek Help for more information